Tuesday, April 7, 2009

D.U.K.E. S1xE02: The Day of Difficult Heights

The day started before 2AM. Someone's alarm (well, it was found out to be an SMS) had to ring on 11.30PM the previous which woke ONLY me up, while rest my cabin mates slept away (there were four of us)!!! And it had to be 3-minute song!!! And if that's not enough, someone had a BASS symphony going on, and well, that's about the sleep I was to get...
2AM: We got off our bed, put on our winter clothing... (it can get as chilly as 4-degrees)... and started our walk to the peak. It was only 2.5KM, so how difficult could it be? The word impossible came only after 5 minutes of walking. It was UP, UP and UP all the way!

It was dark, and there was a lot of people. We had this headlight thingie up our forehead, and that's they only source of light we had. Well, far over the horizon, you can see other people's light, indicating how FAR more you have to go.

It was getting tougher and tougher. We reach this part where had to use the ropes, cuz on the other side, it was a LOOOONG WAY down. And can you believe it? The mountains was just strolling past our side like nothing, all while we're holding to the ropes for our dear lives. Below is the photo taken when the light came up...


4AM+: At some point in time, I was alone, separated from the rest. I was like walking ten steps and sitting down one minute. It was getting too difficult, why did I get myself into this? Well, there was one time, I sat, and just lied on my back. I was going to give up. I just lied there, looking up to the stars. I can tell you, in the midst of this suffering, God gave me one of the most breath-taking commercial break. It was about His great creation. The sky was so clear, and it was so dark all around, you can see so many stars up there!

5AM+: I am almost cursing myself at this point. Imagine you take 10 steps, and take a 1-minute break. Every 10 steps!!! That's what you get for not training at all! Almost really gave up if not for Phang arriving and motivating me on. It really makes a difference when you have a buddy to walk with...

6AM+: The sun has started to rise... Argghhh... I missed the peak sunrise. Sigh, guess my promise to "deliver" a sunrise has failed miserably. But well, at this time, looking around, these are the beautiful scene. Just another 500m more!!

7AM+: Finally! The top!!! The very top! The end of the suffering! The highest top in the Malaysia and I'm there! Wohoooo!!! Well, Wai Yee & gang was starting their descent as I reached, so, I'm pretty late actually. Anyway, the rest of the group is there! And it was half an hour of resting, photo-taking and celebration. The was that sparkling juice we brought up (which weight like a tonne in the midst of the execise).

^ The very last scramble to the pinnacle!

^ Yeap! This is the shot! The top shot!

^ Terry''s dad, who's fitter than me!

^ Reaching the top! Celebration in place!

^ Champagne time (well, it was actually sparkling juice)

^ Note the background - this is your RM1 background picture



^ More breath-taking scenaries from 4000m+ above ground

8AM+: The rest of the journey was much simpler than going up. We finally reach the bottom of the mountain (the very bottom) at about 3.30pm. All in all, we've walked 19KM+, for about 18hours!

So what have I learned from this? 1-Old scout motto: BE PREPARED, train before going for this kind of stuff. 2-Enjoy the journey, even though it might be tough.

No comments: